• To be eligible for any of the need-based programs, your financial need must be determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the federal processor.
  • Each semester of the academic year, you must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours) in an eligible program. In most cases, enrollment status is determined by the number of credits for which you are registered on NCTA's census date. (Census date is the last day each semester to add classes.) Note: Federal Pell Grant funds may be available to undergraduate students enrolled less than half-time.
  • Your application must be made so that the FAFSA is received by the processor at least four weeks prior to your last day of eligible enrollment or June 30, whichever comes first.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen; a national or permanent resident of the U.S., the Northern Mariana Islands or the Republic of Palau; or be in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose. Citizens of the Marshall Islands and Federated States of Micronesia are eligible, if otherwise qualified, to receive Federal Pell, FWSP, and FSEOG. Permanent residents will be required to provide copies of their I-151 or I-551 card before being awarded aid.
  • You must not be in default on any federal loan (e.g., Federal Perkins, Federal Direct Stafford, Federal Family Education Loan, Federal SLS or Federal PLUS).
  • You must not owe a refund on any grant funds previously allocated, or you will not be allowed to register for classes.
  • You must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program.
  • You must comply with Selective Service registration requirements (males only).
  • You must be making satisfactory academic progress.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture is required by federal regulations to establish a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy students must meet to be eligible or maintain eligibility for federal and state financial aid. This includes but is not limited to grants, loans and federal work study. There are three components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy which are: 1)pace, 2)grades and 3) time frame. These are monitored each semester.


A student must be making progress through his/her educational program at a pace of 67% or higher. Pace is calculated by dividing the cumulative number of successfully completed credit hours by the cumulative number of attempted credit hours. Credit hours that will not count as successfully completed include letter grades of F(Fail), I(Incomplete), NP(No Pass), W(Withdrawal), AU(Audit) or NR(Not Reported). A student that is able to have one of the above listed grades changed to a grade of D or higher should contact the Financial Aid office to see if the change impacts the pace calculation. A repeat class will be funded only the second time taken provided the student is meeting the SAP policy.


A student must maintain a minimum grade point average depending on the number of credit hours attempted:

1 through 17 credit hours: Cumulative Grade Point Average 1.5 or higher

18 through 35 credit hours: Cumulative Grade Point Average 1.75 or higher

36 and above credit hours: Cumulative Grade Point Average 2.0 or higher

Time Frame:

Students are permitted to receive financial aid only until the total number of credit hours attempted equals 150% of the length of his/her program. (see program descriptions in the NCTA course catalog) For a 76 credit program, the total allowed credit hours attempted would be 76 X 150% = 114 hrs. Transfer hours count toward the total number of credit hours attempted. A second course of study must also fall within this 150% time frame in order to receive federal financial aid.


A student will be placed on financial aid warning for one semester if he/she fails to maintain the required cumulative GPA and/or fails to meet the 67% pace requirement. All aid will be paid during the warning semester. If standards are not met at the end of the warning semester, all aid will be suspended until eligibility is re-established.


A student will be placed on financial aid suspension and receive no federal or state financial aid if he/she fails to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements at the end of the warning semester.

Regaining Eligibility after Suspension:

A student that has had financial aid eligibility suspended has two options for regaining his/her eligibility:

1) A student may qualify for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility by enrolling at his/her own expense. A student must bring his/her cumulative GPA back to the level necessary in the above chart for the number of hours attempted and bring his/her pace up to the 67% to meet the minimum requirements of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.

2) A student may appeal his/her financial aid suspension if extenuating circumstances (death of a relative, injury or illness of the student, or other special circumstances) exist. A Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form should be completed and must include supporting documentation of the extenuating circumstances. Examples: Letters from health providers, copies of medical bills showing health provider visits, or any other statements or documentation to support the extenuating circumstance that prevented the student from making satisfactory progress. Also include information about what has changed in the student's situation that would allow him/her to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation.

If the Appeals Committee approves the appeal, the student is placed on Financial Aid Probation for the subsequent semester of enrollment. At the end of Financial Aid Probation, the student must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards or meet the expectations of the Academic Plan the Appeals Committee established to continue receiving financial aid.