Dean's Council Minutes Thursday, April 21, 2016
AttendeesRon Rosati, Dottie Evans, Doug Smith (absent), Glenn Jackson, Jennifer McConville (absent), Mary Rittenhouse, Eric Reed, Barb Berg (absent), Brad Ramsdale, Catherine Hauptman (recorder)
The NCTA Dean’s Council meeting was called to order at 12:05 p.m. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Ron Rosati welcomed Dean’s Council members to the meeting
APPROVE MINUTES FROM 4.7.2016
- Brad Ramsdale moved to approve the minutes as written, Eric Reed approved, minutes accepted as written.
- Dr. Rosati and Dottie Evans have received initial feedback from H.O. Brownback of the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) regarding the accreditation visit.
- The Council will review HLC input at a Dean’s Council retreat slated for June.
- The Council reviewed graduation week activities.
- Graduation is May 5 at 1:30 pm in the Curtis Memorial Community Center.
- Governor Pete Ricketts is confirmed as the keynote speaker.
DEAN’S COUNCIL RETREAT
- A new date has been selected for the Dean’s Council Retreat. Council will convene 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. on Tuesday, June 7 at Mid-Plains Community College, McCook.
- Dr. Jackson reported that the Faculty Senate met this week.
- Faculty Senate will amend bylaws to remove the grievance policy from faculty senate responsibility. Grievances campus-wide are to be handled by faculty and staff.
- New Officers
- Joanna Hergenreder, chair, Dan Stehlik, vice chair and Mary Rittenhouse, secretary
- Two promotion portfolios from faculty have been received. The Promotion in Rank Committee will meet to review the requests. Dr. Doug Smith, Dr. Brad Ramsdale, Dr. Ricky Barnes, and Jo Bek will serve on the committee.
- Catherine Hauptman will draft a policy for faculty and staff awards. Dr. Ramsdale offered to assist.
- An NCTA Faculty and Staff Awards Policy will be reviewed by Dean’s Council when the draft is ready.
- Monday, May 9 was selected for the end of year faculty/staff picnic.
- Catherine will coordinate catering and arrangements.
ACADEMIC TRANSFER CONFERENCE
- Central Community College, Hastings, will host the Academic Transfer Conference on Tuesday, May 17.
- Ron Rosati, Jennifer McConville, Eric Reed, Mary Rittenhouse, Doug Smith, Tina Smith, and Kevin Martin will attend.
- The 2016 NCTA Calendar of Events was reviewed by the Council.
- Promotion in Rank
- Dean’s Council reviewed the current Promotion in Rank policy
- Two faculty members have submitted portfolios to their Division chairs for promotion consideration.
- Finals Week Schedule
- Faculty expressed concern with the Spring, 2016 exam schedule. Many disliked starting a day earlier than normal and adding a “dead” day at the end.
- Suggestions include three days of exams, starting finals on a Friday, with Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday as a make-up period, and graduation Thursday.
- The topic will be discussed further next week.
- 2 +2 agreement with UNK and NCTA Agribusiness Management Systems (AMS)
- Mary Rittenhouse started discussion with UNK on a 2 + 2 agreement for NCTA AMS majors transferring to UNK.
- Dr. Rosati urged this be in place by summer’s end, 2016.
- Dr. Jackson raised concerns about housing check-out times. Students are to leave residence halls by Wednesday, May 4 at 5 p.m. but some students still have responsibilities for campus animals through the week.
- Residence Life Manager Tee Bush will accommodate affected students with checkout on Friday.
- She will attend the next Dean’s Council meeting to address housing concerns.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 P.M. The next meeting date is April 28 at 12 p.m.
in the Ag Hall Conference Room.