Community Advisory Minutes Tuesday, September 8, 2015
AttendeesDon Adams (absent), Tom Brown (absent), Alan Garey (absent), Stephan Herman (absent), Grant Jorgensen (absent), Mike Kelly (absent), Gilbert Larsen (absent), Ted Lashley (absent), Kert McKeone (absent), Tyre Nelson (absent), Marilyn Pilcher, Stan Pilcher, Barb Scharf, Doug Schultz, Bob Willis (absent), Ron Rosati, Scott Mickelsen (absent), Jennifer McConville, Catherine Hauptman (recorder), Kim Mortensen (absent), Kathy Burr (absent)
The NCTA Community Advisory meeting was called to order at 12:05 P.M. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Ron Rosati welcomed everyone to the meeting.
APPROVE THE COMMUNITY ADVISORY MINUTES FROM THE 7/14/2015 MEETING
- Stan moved to approve minutes as written, Jennifer 2nd, motion carried. Minutes were approved as written
ORIENTATION WEEKEND FEEDBACK
- There was great feedback on the orientation weekend from the community advisory members.
- One comment was made by Marilyn on how nice it was for the clergy to be involved on Saturday evening with the music in the park and also the Sunday evening suppers that the Methodist church and New Vineyard put on for NCTA students.
- Ron gave each community advisory member a chart on NCTA’s enrollment growth for them to review.
- NCTA’s fulltime enrollment is up 4.8% and our total enrollment is up 33%.
- Most of our enrollment increase has come from Dual Credit.
- Our resident hall occupancy is 98% capacity. Our fourth residence hall is east traditional, where the cafeteria is, and it needs to be funded to help pay for the fire suppression system.
- The parking lot fund was paid for by Ronnie Green and the President’s offices discretionary fund along with some NCTA funds.
- It was discussed during the meeting how we can get the President’s office to help us with this project.
- Doug suggested we draft a letter to send to the President’s office asking to help us fund the residence hall. Ron felt it was a great idea but was too early right now to go to that point. If we need to do this in the future we will. NCTA is waiting to see what the 309 task force response will be for our request for funding for East Traditional dorms.
- Doug would like to know when and if we are ready to send a letter for Ron to let him know and he will also send a letter on behalf of the city.
- Barb asked for Ron to email her more details on the residence hall for when she sees President Bounds.
DUAL CREDIT COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT – YORK UPDATE
- September 3rd we did a cooperative agreement with York public schools, Reinke manufacturing, Central Valley Ag and NCTA. Governor Ricketts attended along with many other big Ag companies in Nebraska. The event received lots of press and was very successful.
SPUCC ON CAMPUS SEPT. 8TH
- The SPUCC meeting is being held tonight in the Ed Center beginning at 5:30pm with a steak dinner at 6pm.
CITY COUNCIL MEETING SEPTEMBER 9TH
- This is September 9th at 7:30pm at the Curtis community center.
- Ron will attend this meeting.
RURAL FUTURE’S CONFERENCE OCTOBER
- The RFC conference is October 21 and 22 in Curtis, NE. Each council member was handed an agenda for Curtis.
- Barb asked about registration costs. Catherine will check with RFI to see how the costs differ for locations.
- A reminder about the Farmer’s market that the Horticulture club puts on began on Saturday. If you have donations of produce the club is willing to accept these. They are raising money for their PLANET trip in the Spring.
UNSTA 50 YEAR CELEBRATION NOVEMBER 2015 TBD
- UNSTA is celebrating 50 years this fall. Catherine is in charge of the committee and will get more details to the group as they come about. The committee is meeting tomorrow for the first time.
- A reminder from the extension office that they are having a Food preservation and garden safety workshop on Thursday September 17th. Also the Entrepreneurship best practice summit is on October 21st in Lincoln.
MEDICINE CREEK CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
- The Medicine Creek Chamber of Commerce meet the second Wednesday of the month. Someone from NCTA will begin attending. Marilyn will send Catherine the list of where each meeting is at.
- Tomorrow the meeting begins at 12pm and will be at Martha Jos. Jennifer will go to represent NCTA.
- Doug Schultz filled us in on the trap club for Curtis and NCTA. It is going really well and will continue to grow with new equipment. The trap club is also working on a grant for more guns and will do a tournament on Fall Festival weekend.
- The trail by the golf course is almost complete. It totals 1.9 miles.
The meeting adjourned at 12:55 PM. The next meeting will be Tuesday October 13th, 2015 in the Ed Center, Room 129 at 12 p.m.