It takes a soul to love the prairie. —Willa Cather
The Bessey Ranger District of the Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands seeks a Rangeland Management Specialist. This person works with 30 direct permittees to manage about 11,000 head of cattle on 210,000 acres of native Sandhills grass- lands. It’s the linchpin for our management of natural resources: wildlife, fire, and recreation.
The position is located in Halsey, Nebraska. I’m looking for a person who could
lateral into a GS-0454-09. Government housing and a relocation incentive *may* be available.
The district is a highly functional, productive, and fun place to work.
- A degree in range management, or enough credits to qualify for the position
- Curiosity and willingness to listen and learn
- Enjoy working in a team
- A strong work ethic and proven track record of finishing projects
- Appreciation of the value of your public lands
- Practical knowledge of cattle and ranching operations
- Plant identification skills
- Horsemanship and/or ATV skills
- GPS and GIS skills
- Ability to operate heavy equipment
- Ability to lift a 55-pound sack of rye by yourself
Open until filled
If interested, contact:
Julie Bain, District Ranger
P.O. Box 39 / 40637 River Loop Drive
Halsey, Nebraska 69142