Sprayer Operator (Agricultural Equipment Operator)
Position Title: Sprayer Operator (Agricultural Equipment Operator)
Position Type: Full-time
Organization Name: Tasteful Selections
Location (City, State): Arvin, California
Tasteful Selections is a speciality potato company with year-round planting, harvesting, and packaging operations. We offer consumers a variety of baby potatoes, while practicing sustainability and giving back to our communities.
Located in Arvin, California, near Bakersfield, Tasteful Selections continues to grow a new production and packaging facility with on-going efforts to be forward thinking to prepare for tomorrow. TS has a mission to provide consumers with great tasting and easy to prepare potato products. Since launching the TS brand in 2010, the company has continued to search for ways to make delicious and healthy meals even easier for families with busy schedules. Tasteful Selections baby potatoes are per-washed, don't need to be peeled, and have faster cook times than traditional potatoes. The company began as a joint venture of family farmers with the goal of growing potatoes that fit today's busy lifestyle, with superior quality and taste. Today the TS brand includes a variety of baby potatoes, fingerling's, and microwavable snack cups.
Tasteful Selections practices sustainability while continuing efforts to give back to the community. They continually research and develop new varieties of potatoes, as well as beneficial rotational crops. Their focus on innovation is not limited to their farming efforts, as they seek out continuous improvement throughout the entire packaging process.
The Sprayer Operator's primary responsibility is to coordinate and execute pesticide applications in a safe and effective manner. This role will be responsible for operating complex equipment as well as managing several elements of the application process. The successful candidate will be skilled in large equipment operation in crop fields, mechanically inclined, and is driven to succeed.
This is a full-time position. In times of high seasonal demands, hours to be worked can largely exceed 40 hours per week. Qualified applicants must be available to work evenings and/or weekends as needed. Work will primarily be performed outdoors, on, and around commercial agriculture equipment and machinery.
The Sprayer Operator works with the location Farm Manager and team members to effectively treat up to 10,000 acres for potato and vegetable production annually. The position reports to the Director of Agronomy and will interact daily with farm managers, agronomists, and other farm personnel
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Mix, load, and apply pesticides onto fields in accordance with label required rates and procedures
- Coordinate delivery of pesticide product to field locations
- Serves as primary sprayer for all farm locations
- Utilize the latest ag technology; GPS, precision ag equipment, computer, and smart phone
- Maintain and repair all necessary application equipment
- Calibrate sprayers and chemical application equipment
- Identify crop issues in the field while spraying and communicate observations to farm managers and agronomy team
- Work with land owners and staff in a courteous and professional manner
- Periodically work with agronomists to identify crop pests, undesirable vegetation, and diseases affecting the health of specific crops
- Safely operate agricultural equipment and vehicles
- Maintain records per company protocol and in compliance with CDPR (California Department of Pesticide Regulation) and submit application records for billing purposes.
- Operate other farm equipment as needed such as planters, harvesters, etc.
- Maintain work area, chemical storage area, and equipment in a condition that promotes good safety practices and is compliant with CDPR.
- Use and maintain all personal protection equipment (PPE) recommended for each work situation
- Responsible for inventory control and record keeping
- Performs other duties as assigned
Tasteful Selections is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualifications or Skills Required:
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Must possess or have the capability to acquire a PAC (Private Applicator Certificate) as well as other relevant pesticide application certificates
- 3+ years of experience operating chemical application equipment, including sprayers and mixing equipment
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- High attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to travel to multiple farm locations (approximately 50% travel)
- Self-directed individual with troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated strong work-ethic, exceptional interpersonal skills, and a “can-do” attitude
- Adaptability in an ever-changing environment
- Prioritization skills
- Proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs, such as Outlook and Excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to acquire and hold a valid US driver's license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification
- Candidates must be eligible to work unrestricted in the U.S. without company sponsorship
Preferred Skills & Qualifications
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
- Previous experience working with potatoes, irrigated crops, and/or related agriculture
- Knowledge of crop agronomics
Salary & Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and skills. Tasteful Selections has a complete benefits package, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, company matched 401(k) and bonuses.
Contact Information/Instructions How to Apply: Email Resume to: Careers@tastefulselections.com