Dean's Council Minutes Thursday, April 28, 2016
AttendeesRon Rosati, Dottie Evans, Doug Smith, Glenn Jackson, Jennifer McConville, Mary Rittenhouse, Eric Reed, Barb Berg, Brad Ramsdale, Catherine Hauptman (Recorder)
- Dr. Ron Rosati welcomed Dean’s Council members to the meeting
APPROVE MINUTES FROM 4.20.2016
- Brad Ramsdale moved to approve the minutes as written, Eric Reed approved, minutes accepted as written.
STUDENT SENATE UPDATE
- Shane Hoer updated the Dean’s Council on student senate. New officers were elected for 2016-2017. Shane Hoer will again be President, and Trever Genkins is Treasurer.
- Bylaws for Student Senate have also been revised.
- Tee Bush updated the Council regarding NCTA campus check-out times from housing.
- The concern is that students are being asked to leave the dorms too early.
- The housing and resident advisor contracts end on Thursday, May 5 at 5 p.m.
- Next year, Jennifer will make sure the housing handbooks state that residence halls will stay open on graduation day until Thursday at 5 p.m. and food services will provide meals until Friday at 12 p.m.
- Tee reminded us that Housing has a tab on the NCTA website for public information.
HLC DRAFT LIST
- Dr. Rosati reviewed a draft list from Higher Learning Commission site visit for suggestions and campus improvements.
- The campus grievance policy was reviewed.
- Faculty Senate has reviewed the policy and has decided that Faculty Senate will remove its existing grievance committee. In the future, NCTA will handle grievances campus wide, as outlined in the NCTA Grievance Policy
- Dr. Rosati suggested an amendment in the grievance policy in paragraph one “Appeal directly to vice president of IANR.”
- Barb Berg also suggested changing the title to “NCTA Faculty and Staff Grievance Policy.
- Glenn Jackson moved to approve the policy with the above amendments, Doug Smith 2nd, motion carried.
- Catherine will make revisions, send to all faculty and staff, and ask it be posted on the web site.
DISTANCE LEARNING UPDATE
- Dr. Rosati addressed distance learning and the current policy was reviewed.
- He reported NCTA is in the process of inclusion to SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements). This would allow NCTA to teach students in any state.
- A Distance Learning Committee will be convened during summer break to review and update NCTA’s distance learning program.
- Dr. Rosati discussed several workshops coming up on May 10 and 11 at UNL for online training of faculty.
- Catherine will send an email to faculty to see who is interested.
GRADUATION WEEK AGENDA
- The graduation week activities/agenda were discussed.
- Dr. Rosati asked Dean’s Council members invited to the luncheon to arrive at 11:15 a.m. so that lunch can be served promptly at 11:30 a.m.
- On Monday, May 9 at 10:30 a.m. Dr. Ramsdale will be holding an assessment meeting, required for all instructors and faculty.
STAFF APPRECIATION LUNCH
- The staff and faculty appreciation lunch will be Monday, May 9 at 12 p.m. at The Barn.
DEAN’S COUNCIL SUMMER RETREAT
- Tuesday, June 7 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. is the NCTA Dean’s Council retreat and planning meeting at Mid-Plains Community College in McCook.
- Mary Rittenhouse asked that Jeremy Sievers not be asked to do so many errands or transportation needs for campus departments and activities. Requests have taken him away from the office and agribusiness division.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:05 p.m. The next meeting date is Wednesday, May 3
at 12 p.m. in the Ag Hall Conference Room.