A Growing Industry
Discover the many career opportunities available in the Dairy Production Industry
Manage Herd Health
At NCTA you will gain valuable knowlege in herd health, and range management practices.
NCTA is excited to partner with SDSU in our new Dairy Production program
To learn more about our new Dairy Production ProgramClick Here
Dairy Production Program AAS - Livestock Industry Management
Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture Curtis, Nebraska
South Dakota State University Brookings, South Dakota
This program provides students with the opportunity to study dairy production in a unique collaborative venture between two top rated academic institutions: the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture and South Dakota State University. Students spend three semesters studying applied animal science and general agriculture at NCTA, and one intensive semester studying hands-on dairy production at SDSU. Participants will graduate from NCTA with an Associate Degree and a high level of skill and proficiency in dairy production.
Students who wish to earn the AAS degree with a Dairy Production Concentration in the Agriculture Production Systems Major at NCTA will need to apply for admission to NCTA and SDSU. In order to be admitted, all applicants must meet the admission requirements for the AAS degree at NCTA.
- Students must meet NCTA requirements for the AAS degree and complete the program requirements for the Dairy Production Concentration in the Agriculture Production Systems Major at NCTA (See Appendix).
- NCTA will be the degree granting institution for students completing the AAS degree requirements.
- Graduation Requirements for the AAS degree with the Dairy Production Concentration in the Agriculture Production Major from NCTA are specified in the NCTA catalog.
- Example course schedules are shown in the Appendix. Students pursuing the AAS degree from NCTA under this agreement will spend one semester at SDSU. Students with an odd year start date at NCTA will be expected to spend the Spring semester of Year 1 at SDSU, whereas those with an even year start date will be expected to spend the Spring semester of Year 2 at SDSU.
- Dairy Production Curriculum
- 2-Year Plan of Courses
- General Education Requirements (Associate of Applied Science)
Dr. Doug Smith: Chairperson, Agricultural Production Systems - Animal Science/Agricultural Education, 404 E 7th Street, Curtis, NE 69025; Tel: (308) 367-5286 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NCTA Admissions - Tel: 1-800-3CURTIS or Email: email@example.com
Vikram V. Mistry: Professor and Head of Dairy and Food Science Department, 136 Alfred Dairy Science Hall South Dakota State University Brookings, SD 57007; Tel: (605) 688-5731 or Fax: (605) 688-6276 http://www.sdstate.edu/ds
- Family Farmer
- Herd Manager
- Dairy Equipment Specialist
- Dairy Field Specialist
- Nutrition Consultant
- and Many More!
Associate of Applied Science (17 credits)
Agricultural Production Systems Core (15 credits)
- AGR 2982 APS Capstone (2 credits)
- ACT 1103 Accounting I (3 credits)
- AGR 2903 Internship (3 credits)
- ASI 2854 Farm and Ranch Management (4 credits)
- ECN 1203 Microeconomics (3 credits) or ECN 1103 Intro to Ag Economics
Dairy Production Core (17 credits)
- ASI 1253 Nutrition (3 credits)
- ASI 1304 Animal Management (4 credits)
- ASI 1351 Artificial Insemination of Beef Cattle (1 credit)
- ASI 2313 Ration Formulation (3 credits)
- ASI 2383 Large Animal Diseases (3 credits)
- MKT 2203 Ag Marketing (3 credits)
1 semester at South Dakota State - Dairy (17 credits)
Advisor Guided Electives (1 credits)
Total Credit Hours for Degree (67 credits)
Associated Clubs and Teams
- Rodeo Team
- Ranch Horse Team
- Livestock Judging Team
- Collegiate 4-H/FFA
- Women in Ag
- Collegiate Cattlemen