Dean's Council Minutes Thursday, May 12, 2016
AttendeesRon Rosati, Glenn Jackson (absent), Eric Reed, Dottie Evans (absent), Jennifer McConville, Barb Berg (absent), Doug Smith (absent), Mary Rittenhouse (absent), Brad Ramsdale, Catherine Hauptman (recorder)
The NCTA Dean’s Council meeting was called to order at 12:05 p.m. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Ron Rosati welcomed Dean’s Council members to the meeting
APPROVE MINUTES FROM 5.3.2016
- Eric Reed moved to accept the minutes as written, Brad Ramsdale 2nd, motion carried.
MARK GARDNER STAFF SENATE
- Mark Gardner updated Dean’s Council on Staff Senate issues. Mark is the Staff Senate president.
- Lighting was discussed by Staff Senate. Dr. Rosati added that Roy Cole and Kenny Russell have been going around campus fixing existing lights.
- Campus lighting is on NCTA’s “to do” list for continued work over this summer.
PRIORITIES FOR STRATEGIC PLAN UPDATE
- Dr. Rosati discussed priority projects for Dean’s Council to consider for NCTA’s Strategic Plan. Several came from the Higher Learning Commission report.
- These priorities will continue to be examined this summer, particularly at the Dean’s Council Retreat on June 7.
- Brad Ramsdale updated the group on the May 9th Assessment meeting he coordinated for faculty.
- The student exit surveys were given out by Linda Cole during finals for students who were graduating. When Brad receives the results he will inform Dean’s council.
MAY 17TH MEETINGS
- On May 17, Dr. Rosati, Jennifer McConville, Eric Reed, Doug Smith and Kevin Martin will travel to Central Community College, Hastings for an Academic Transfer Conference.
- The group will travel by state vehicle leaving NCTA campus at 6:30 a.m. Jennifer McConville will be traveling separately.
- Mary Crawford will participate in the Nebraska USDA Outreach Council by telephone, on behalf of Dr. Rosati.
MAY 25th TRAINING
- Faculty taking the UNL class for Online Teaching will travel to Lincoln for a required Face-to-Face Field Experience.
- Dr. Rosati, Eric Reed, Jeremy Sievers, Mary Rittenhouse, Dave Jibben, Barb Berg, Amy Graff and Judy Bowmaster are enrolled.
JUNE 7th DEAN’S COUNCIL
- Dean’s Council Retreat will be June 7 from 9 am to 4 pm in McCook.
- Catherine Hauptman is coordinating travel and food.
- NCTA has extended an offer to an individual for the open Resident Advisor position. He will be hired when background clearances are approved.
STUDENT ABSENCES FOR APPOINTMENTS
- A reminder was issued that NCTA students should make advance appointments for the Curtis Medical Clinic. If a student needs to miss a class, the clinic will write a medical note of absence.
- This issue will be emphasized at NCTA’s orientation weekend for new and existing students.
- Dr. Rosati asked Dr. Smith to incorporate this issue in the Student Absence policy. “If at all possible, have students make appointments around their class schedule.” The student also needs to alert their teacher if they are missing a class for any type of appointment.
NEW TIME FOR DEAN’S COUNCIL
- Catherine will send a Doodle Poll to determine a new time for Dean’s Council to meet.
- Catherine will also inquire as to the Faculty Senate representative to Dean’s Council for the summer.
NCTA CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- The NCTA calendar of events was reviewed.
- Discussion occurred regarding Dual Credit courses.
- Dr. Ramsdale noted that York High School appears to be the only high school targeting the NCTA certificate program.
- Eric Reed reminded Dean’s Council and Vicky Luke that Elm Creek is the only high school able to participate in NCTA math courses. Elm Creek is very interested in the general education classes.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:55 p.m. The next meeting date is Tuesday May 31st at 9:00 am in the Ag Hall Conference Room.