Dean's Council Minutes Thursday, April 7, 2016
AttendeesRon Rosati, Dottie Evans, Doug Smith (absent), Glenn Jackson, Jennifer McConville, Mary Rittenhouse, Eric Reed, Barb Berg, Brad Ramsdale, Catherine Hauptman (Recorder)
The NCTA Dean’s Council meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Ron Rosati welcomed Dean’s Council members to the meeting
APPROVE MINUTES FROM 3.31.2016
- Jennifer moved to accept the minutes as written, Dottie 2nd, minutes approved as written.
STAFF SENATE UPDATE
- Mark Gardner joined Dean’s Council to give an update on Staff Senate business.
- Staff Senate and Jennifer McConville have worked with Jan Gilbert to invite a study group to campus to assess NCTA’s lighting needs.
- This topic will be further discussed between Jennifer and Dr. Rosati. It may be included in an updated Strategic Plan as campus security.
- Dean’s Council all agreed that campus security is a high priority issue for NCTA campus.
STUDENT EXIT SURVEY
- Brad Ramsdale updated Dean’s Council on the process for the NCTA Student Exit Survey.
- The surveys will be distributed to graduating students during key classes at the end of each semester.
- In 2017, Student Exit Surveys will be distributed with graduation checks to each student. Each student will need to submit a completed exit survey and graduation check sheet to their advisor.
ASSESSMENT TRAINING PROCESS
- Dr. Ramsdale said Assessment Committee meets Tuesday, April 21 and will discuss a date and the agenda for the assessment training.
UPCOMING (TENTATIVE) EVENTS
- Dr. Rosati reviewed tentative dates for upcoming meetings and events.
- Thursday, June 9 - Dean’s Council Retreat.
- Thursday, August 11 – Proposed Statewide Advisory Meeting.
- Wednesday August 17 - Annual NCTA Faculty and Staff In-service.
- Catherine Hauptman will check with Doug Smith who was at State FFA Convention today to ensure these dates will work for his schedule.
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSE SCHEDULE
- Eric Reed distributed the updated General Education course schedule for review.
- The current summer schedule may need some rearranging but Barb Berg and Eric will discuss that since it affects only Vet Tech students.
- Dr. Rosati asked Eric to discuss the proposal with Dr. Smith to correctly align with requirements for NCTA’s 2 + 2 agreement with UNL.
- Tee Bush and Dr. Smith are currently working on the content of the new Oral Communication Class to ensure it meets the needs of the agreement.
- Dean’s Council members approved the General Education course schedule as presented.
- Dr. Glenn Jackson will be discussing the Promotions in Rank Committee in Faculty Senate, and will bring their Promotion Committee recommendation to Dean’s Council.
- President Hank Bounds’ Investiture is Friday, April 15 at 10 a.m. in Lincoln.
- The agenda for the Investiture was reviewed by the Dean’s Council.
- NCTA has 36 students going on a chartered bus with Glenn Jackson, Doug Smith, Mary Crawford, and Jo Bek. The bus departs at 4:45 a.m., and returns around 5 p.m.
- Jennifer and Catherine will coordinate breakfast for travelers on the bus.
NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION DAY
- The New Student Registration day will be Monday, April 18 from 9 am to 2 pm in the Education Center.
- Jennifer will follow up with Tina regarding the agenda and expected attendance.
- Dean’s Council reviewed the graduation day agenda.
- Dr. Jackson brought an update about the NCTA IACUC (Institute of Animal Care and Use Committee) and reported there is no action needed at this time.
BANK OPEN HOUSE
- Western Nebraska Bank in Curtis is having an open house honoring Megan Sprague and Wade Shipman, new employees who are both NCTA graduates.
- Dr. Rosati asked staff to take time Friday, April 22 between 11 am and 1 pm to stop by the bank with congratulations to Megan and Wade.
- Additionally, Dr. Rosati reported Western Nebraska Bank and the Kelly Ranch are each donating a bred heifer to the NCTA Heifer Link program this year (as two were also donated in 2015).
NCTA CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- The 2016 NCTA Calendar of Events was reviewed by the Council.
- No other business at this time.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:15 P.M. The next meeting date is April 20th at 12pm Ag Hall Conference Room.