Dean's Council Minutes Thursday, February 18, 2016
AttendeesRon Rosati, Glenn Jackson (absent), Eric Reed, Brad Ramsdale, Dottie Evans, Jennifer McConville (absent), Doug Smith (absent), Barb Berg (absent), Mary Rittenhouse, Catherine Hauptman (recorder)
The NCTA Dean’s Council meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Ron Rosati welcomed Dean’s Council members to the meeting
APPROVE MINUTES FROM 2.11.2016
- Brad moved to approve the minutes as written, Mary 2nd, motion carried. Minutes were approved.
- Dottie Evans updated the Dean’s Council on accreditation.
- The final documents are all due on February 29, online report and submitted comments.
- This agenda item will continue to be on the Dean’s Council agenda.
MEETING MINUTES ON THE COMMON
- Dottie Evans reminded all committee chairmen, recorders or secretaries to finalize meetings by uploading minutes to the respective file on the Common/X:drive.
ADVISORY BOARD, STUDENT RECOMMENDATIONS
- A reminder was given to the Dean’s Council to provide Dottie Evans with names of individuals from advisory boards and NCTA students to invite to meetings for the HLC visit March 28-29.
DUAL CREDIT FACULTY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Dr. Rosati is finalizing the policy for Dual Credit faculty responsibilities.
- He will present it at the next Dean’s Council.
FACILITATORS ONLINE PAY APPROVAL
- Eric Reed presented the updated Facilitators for Online Courses draft policy for review.
- Revisions suggested:
- Policy title was changed to “On Campus Facilitators to Online Courses”
- Eric will email Dean’s Council the policy revisions for review.
- The policy will be on the next meeting agenda for final action.
GENERAL EDUCATION CURRICULUM
- Eric returned recommended changes for the General Education Curriculum proposal.
- Introduction to Chemistry only be offered ????; Trigonometry will be removed from Gen Ed Curriculum listings but can still be offered if there are enough students to fill the class; Advanced composition will only be offered once a year (which semester)?
- Eric will make revisions and bring this back to next week’s Dean’s Council.
NCTA CATALOG AND DEADLINES
- Jennifer McConville will now be in charge of the NCTA Catalog, updates and deadlines. Faculty should send her any changes from the 2015-2016 calendar and catalog listings.
- This agenda item will be discussed in two weeks.
NCTA ACADEMIC PROGRAM LIST
- Dr. Rosati reviewed the current NCTA academic program list.
- He asked for suggestions or concerns; none were voiced.
- Dr. Rosati provided suggestions and resources for successful advising of students:
- Web based advising from “People Soft”
- Post a 3-year course rotation
- Include student advising as a review criteria during faculty evaluations
- Simplify the curriculum
- Establish an advising committee
- Consider recommended class substitutions
- Healthy discussion of student advising and all were in favor of looking into a web-based program for advising.
- This agenda item will be brought back to next week’s Dean’s Council.
- Faculty workloads were discussed.
- Not all members were present to finish our discussions.
- The faculty workload information will be stored on the Common drive. Dr. Rosati will ensure this occurs in updates with Jennifer.
- He suggested faculty start working on next semester workloads.
CAMPUS TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS
- NCTA is researching an IT program to send text and email alerts to campus employees and students in the event of campus emergencies.
AGGIE OF THE MONTH
- NCTA will be starting Aggie of the Month again soon. Eric Reed and Mary Crawford will be making a proposal for resuming the process and publicity.
- It will be reviewed at next week’s meeting.
- No other business at this time.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:10 p.m. The next meeting will be Thursday, Feb. 25
at 12 p.m. in the Ag Hall Conference room.