Dean's Council Minutes Friday, May 1, 2015
AttendeesRon Rosati, Scott Mickelsen (absent), Jan Gilbert, Eric Reed, Brad Ramsdale, Jo Bek, Doug Smith, Barb Berg, Dottie Evans, Paul Clark, Jennifer McConville, Catherine (Recorder)
The NCTA Dean’s Council Meeting was called to order at 12:00 p.m. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Rosati welcomed everyone to the meeting.
APPROVE MEETING MINUTES FROM 4/23/2015
- Minutes were approved as amended by Dean’s Council.
BUDGET AND TIMELINES
- The NCTA FY 2015-2016 budget timeline was distributed to the Dean’s Council members by Jennifer and Jan.
- Operating budget deadlines have been pushed back a few weeks as outlined in red on the timeline.
- Adjunct faculty requests will be discussed further when Scott returns.
- Temporary employees / student workers
- Jennifer will come back with this next week. Staff needs to start requesting temporary employees and student workers soon for a more accurate budget.
- NCTA’s appropriation request is currently being considered in the Legislature. Dr. Rosati believes that the outcome appears favorable.
- NCTA has some significant expenses coming
- Dorm renovations and cafeteria renovations must be made.
- Eric gave each Council member his recommendations for road closures.
- One option is block Seminoe Ave. between swine and horse barns.
- Option two is to close off the road by Aggie Central.
- Option three is no road closures.
- Discussion was made about these three options.
- It was suggested to install a pipe gate by the horse barn so the public and student traffic could not drive through yet parking beside the horse barn is still accessible for students doing chores.
- Dr. Rosati asked Eric to put this on a Power Point and for Catherine to add to the agenda items for Tuesday’s Open Forum.
- Dean’s Council decided to keep the merit raises system the same.
- It was suggested that the Friday before everyone returns to campus in August to hold a summer retreat for Dean’s Council.
- The next Dean’s Council will review to ensure this is an acceptable date and the Dean’s Office will plan accordingly.
DUAL CREDIT VISIT MAY 4TH
- On May 4, about 75 high school students from Cambridge will be on NCTA’s campus for a dual credit visit.
- Dean’s Council discussed that the event was occurring during finals week. A Council member requested better coordination and to more fully consider future campus activities and external groups which require faculty and staff time and resources prior to scheduling these events.
- Commencement activities were reviewed by Dean’s Council members.
- Some minor changes were made to the script.
- Catherine will record the suggested revisions and submit them to Mary to change on the final graduation script.
- Mary Rittenhouse will be on campus Friday May 15th for her Ag Management Systems division chair interviews and presentation.
DUAL CREDIT IN-SERVICE
- Eric suggested that we improve technology for dual credit classes.
- This item will be added to the next Dean’s Council agenda.
- Accreditation review will be on Thursday May 14 from 10 a.m. to 12 noon
p.m. with a retirement reception for Paul Clark to follow from 12-1:30 p.m.
- No other business
The Dean’s Council meeting was adjourned at 1:08 P.M. The next meeting will be Friday May 8, 2015 at 12:15 P.M. at Martha Jo’s.