Dean's Council Minutes Thursday, November 5, 2015
AttendeesRon Rosati, Scott Mickelsen (absent), Glenn Jackson, Eric Reed, Brad Ramsdale (absent), Dottie Evans, Doug Smith, Barb Berg (absent), Jennifer McConville (absent), Mary Rittenhouse (absent), Tee Bush (guest), Catherine Hauptman (recorder)
The NCTA Dean’s Council Meeting was called to order at 4:02 p.m. with the above referenced individuals in attendance.
- Dr. Rosati welcomed everyone to the meeting.
APPROVE MEETING MINUTES FROM 10/29/2015
- Minutes were approved at written.
- Doug would like to bring the Nebraska Cattle museum here. Some space he is interested in is the student activities center or the library.
- This agenda item would be put on our Dean’s Council in two weeks.
- Tee is making a strong recommendation for all faculty and some staff to participate in the Collegiate Teammates program. She encourages all faculty and staff to fill out an application to participate. Fall of 2016 is the projected start date of the program.
- Someone from the Teammates organization would come in the spring semester to train potential mentors.
- This item will be put on the Open Forum Agenda for January.
DUAL CREDIT CREDENTIALS
- Human resources at NCTA will maintain a roster of certified faculty who are able to teach dual credit courses.
- Dr. Rosati emphasized the need for establishing a minimum for students in a course, and discouraged teaching of low-enrolled courses. He asked faculty to review the NCTA policy and evaluate situations with him, as needed.
- Dr. Rosati continues to evaluate the work load spreadsheets. This topic will be reviewed at a future Dean’s Council meeting.
CREDIT HOUR DEFINITION
- Dr. Rosati asked each faculty to review the credit hour definition policy again.
VACANCY SEARCH STATUS
- Since Jennifer was absent for this meeting, Catherine was asked to work with Human Resources on the status of staffing vacancies and searches for a report to Dr. Rosati.
- Eric has hired a chemistry and math professor to teach online classes.
PROGRAM OPTION REDUCTION
- Dr. Rosati reviewed the academic program list which has been edited and reduced following Dean’s Council input on the current program mix.
- The list is narrowed to three majors: Agriculture Production Systems, Agribusiness Management and Veterinary Technology. Each major has options within the division for student enrollment.
- Several edits were recommended which. Dr. Rosati will make and return to Council.
DEPARTMENT ANNUAL PLANNING
- Dr. Rosati asked each department/division to prepare a budget plan to present to the budgeting committee.
PAYROLL PROCESSING FOR HOLIDAY CLOSING
- Information was distributed for holiday closedown in December, and when vacation or floating holidays are designated for 12-month employees.
- The Dean’s Council reviewed the current employee listing Mary Crawford had sent for review to include in the 50th anniversary history booklet.
- A few changes were made which Catherine e-mailed to Mary.
DECEMBER 18th CHRISTMAS LUNCH
- A Christmas lunch will be December 18 at 12 p.m. in the Student Union. It will be a catered meal so NCTA Food Service can participate.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:50 p.m. The next meeting will be TBD.