Apply for Financial Aid

Step 1: The first step to apply for scholarships and financial aid is to be admitted to the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture.

Step 2: To apply for all need-based financial assistance (Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, Nebraska Opportunity Grant, Federal Work Study Program, Federal Perkins Loan and Federal Student Loans), you and usually your parents must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA may be filed electronically at . To avoid any delays in processing your FAFSA, please follow these helpful hints:

  • Read the instructions carefully and properly sign the application.
  • Always use your correct Social Security number. Your Social Security number is the primary means of identifying your records.
  • Designate the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture as a recipient of the information on your FAFSA (federal school code is 007358).
  • File your tax returns electronically.
  • Complete your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1. Federal Perkins Loans, FWSP, Federal SEOG, and Nebraska Opportunity Grants are awarded on a first-come basis to needy students with completed financial aid files as long as funds are available. Due to fund limitations there is no guarantee that applicants will receive all or any of these funds.
  • File the FAFSA using IRS data retrieval process (IRS data will be available two weeks after filing your tax return electronically).
  • Don't leave anything blank unless the instructions specifically tell you to do so.
  • Independent or dependent student status? Students that are considered dependent for financial aid purposes are required to list parental information on the FAFSA. If you have questions about your status, contact our office.
  • When filling out the income, earnings, and benefits with the federal income tax return, use the appropriate line number references. It is recommended to use the IRS data retrieval process when completing the FAFSA.

Step 3: Respond quickly to all requests from our office and other agencies to avoid processing delays.

Step 4: Keep good record. Make photocopies of all forms before mailing them. Keep a careful record of when you mail forms. Keep and date financial aid correspondence sent to you.

Step 5: Follow up. Check on the status of your application.

Step 6: Ask questions. If you are unsure about any part of the application process, contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

What is a completed financial aid file?

Undergraduate students must:

  • Submit the FAFSA to the processing center.
  • Submit an application for admission, high school transcript, college transcripts (if applicable), and application fee to the NCTA Office of Admissions. Returning students who must be readmitted to NCTA must also submit all application materials necessary for readmission.
  • Submit all documentation requested as required for verification.


Some financial aid applicants will be required to verify the accuracy of financial data based upon federal regulations. If you are selected for verification, you will be instructed to complete an institutional verification form. Other documents that may be requested include tax return transcripts, W-2 forms, marriage certificate or military discharge papers. When verification is complete, you will be notified of your eligibility for financial aid through an email directing you to MyNCTA.

Enrollment Status:

Awards made before the beginning of a semester are based on expected full-time enrollment status. Student enrollment status will be checked on the census date of each semester/term. If your hours are less than full-time, your budget and awards will be adjusted at that time. This could cause delays in the processing or disbursement of your financial aid.

Planning to start classes in the Spring or Summer?

  • Spring Semester Assistance
    New students and transfer students beginning their enrollment in the Spring semester will need a current academic year FAFSA on file with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and need to be admitted to the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture for the spring semester. Funds are awarded on a first-come basis to students with completed financial aid files. Currently enrolled students need not reapply each semester as they are automatically considered for financial aid for the entire academic year.
  • Summer Assistance
    Most students are expected to obtain summer employment to generate savings for the upcoming academic year. If it is necessary for you to take summer courses, and if funds are available, we will allocate assistance based on your need as determined by the FAFSA completed for the current academic year. If you have already filed a FAFSA for the current academic year, you do not need to file the FAFSA again for summer assistance. Students cannot exceed their annual maximum loan limit (Chart) over a combination of the fall semester, the spring semester, and the summer session. If you plan to attend summer classes and need financial aid, you may want to reserve some of your loan eligibility from the current academic year. Those students that are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) for the summer session and have a completed FAFSA will be sent an award letter with their summer awards if they have remaining financial aid eligibility.